St John's - Church History
God has given us a lovely building with amazing views to the west across North Staffordshire, Cheshire, Shropshire, and beyond into Wales. The present church building replaced the original building which dated back to 1851. It has been a place of worship for generations of Christians, as well as a local landmark serving to remind people of the Christian faith. It is a reflection of the people who have lived and worked here. It represents changes that each generation has brought (some generations more than others). As people change so has this church and the process continues to this day.
The first Christians knew, and those alive today understand, that the Church is not a building, but the people who worship in the building. Real Christians today, as then, are the Church of Jesus Christ, who have responded to His love for them with the love and surrender of their lives. They are those who have turned “from the best bliss that earth imparts” and found in Him “Life in all its fullness, forgiveness of sin and the joy of life eternal”.
We welcome you to our church building, but we pray that each visitor may come to know the Living Lord for themselves, and be part of the Church of living stones of the risen Lord Jesus.
Finding information about the church and its history has proved to be something of a challenge but thanks are due to Clive Millington who has tracked down the article linked to below. Taken from the London Gazette in 1932, it describes the establishment of the 'New Parish of Saint John, Alsagers Bank'.
?Also, Page 12 of the December 2011 edition of Audley Community News provides an account of the churches celebration of 100 years since the construction of the current building as well as a brief history of Richard Heathcote and St John's Church between 1822 and 2011:
Audley Family History Society kindly help us with enquiries about our registers. You can find information about them here. The Church of England normally charges £30 for record searches, so a donation to Audley Family History society might be appreciated if they're able to help.
Pictured below are the original 1875 building and its replacement that stands today
If anyone has anything they would like to add to or change on this page please use the contact us page to let us know.
Website Admin JJC, 09/11/2022